From the study of neuroscience and quantum physics, we know that a relationship between the mental, emotional, physical and subtle energetic dimensions does indeed exist. We will explore this Mind-Body connection with cutting edge, scientifically proven strategies, techniques and tools to help clients experience relief from eating disordered behaviors. Experiential opportunities include decoding the spiritual and symbolic meaning and purpose in seven areas of eating disordered behaviors, exploring body stories, guided imagery exercises, and creative self-expression.
II. Featured Research:
Current research and a summary of research toolswill be presented to support integrative practices. Many clinicians use their “intuitive sense” as a guide, and without formal research to substantiate their inner theories, many have blazed trails with experiential modalities that help clients access their core healing process, anchor changes and move forward in recovery. Simple strategies and research instruments for capturing change in these areas will be presented.
III. Video on Decoding the Spiritual and Symbolic Meaning in Hungers, Food Cravings, Body Talk and Weight:
Video client sessions demonstrate a pioneering process to decode the spiritual and symbolic meaning and purpose of disordered eating and body thoughts or behaviors, that reveal deep roots in the unwanted feelings and unmet intrinsic needs. Through self-discovery, the client quickly learns how to address his/her needs satisfaction, identify and allow trigger emotions, and discover their positive feeling motivations. Clients find lasting changes in deepening inner connection, honoring a more peaceful relationship with their bodies, and learning their own sustainable self-care practices, fueling long-term commitment and motivation for recovery.
IV. Integration of Body, Mind, Soul and Spirit in ED Recovery:
Disconnection and fragmentation between core aspects of the self are almost universal symptoms of eating disorders. An integrated approach to healing the core self, involves therapies which engage the conscious and unconscious mind in reconnecting the body, heart, soul and spirit. Integration restores balance along the full continuum of eating and weight issues, preventing weight cycling or rebounding from restricting to binging or from one eating and weight concern to another.
V. Questions and Answers
It is as important for clinicians as it is for clients to develop an awareness of their own body stories and ways they have internalized cultural stereotypes of ideal beauty and health, so that they can embrace and model positive self-care and a joyful relationship to their own bodies.
The goals for this workshop are to provide the tools, methods and resources to help clinicians to:
- Utilize the Decoding Process to transform and integrate the meaning and purpose in their client’s eating disorder behaviors—from hungers, food cravings to body talk, size and weight and exercise extremes or compensatory activities—in their clinical practice
- Explore creative arts, imagery, mindfulness, intuition and intention as change agents with clients
- Utilize evidence-based alternative creative therapies and integrative (mind-body-soul-spirit) approaches that lead to sustainable recovery from eating disorders across the spectrum
The themes in this workshop include the art and science of healing by:
- Reconnecting with innate intuitive wisdom
- Restoring intuitive practice capabilities —eating, exercise and emotional self-care
- Learning to recognize and allow and emotions, and to satisfy intrinsic needs
- Understanding the spiritual hungers and symbolic language inherent in the search for meaning and purpose
- Activating mindfulness, self-love and self-care practices lost to disordered eating and body hatred
Barbara Birsinger, ThD, MPH, RD, Medical Nutrition Therapist and Spiritual Health Counselor, specializes in treating the entire spectrum of eating disorders. Mother of two teenagers, and eating disorder recovered twenty-eight years, Barbara is passionate about helping others heal. With a Theology Doctorate in Spiritual Healing and Energy Medicine, her research is being reviewed for publication in a medical journal. Co-author of the reference text, Health Promotion in the Workplace, she is also authoring a book on her popular, self-discovery process, Decoding the Spiritual and Symbolic Meaning in Hungers, Food Cravings, Body Talk and Weight. Barbara practices in the San Francisco Bay Area with the Integrative Medical Clinic, Spiritual Living Wellness Center, The Body Positive, and Andrea’s Voice Foundation.